tisdag 26 april 2011

The very best injera recipe

Decided to do some Ethiopian cooking (my very favorite food) and looked online for different recipes. Found three and decided to do them all - with VERY different outcomes!

Pictures:

1. Not recommended - teff only


2 - Not recommended - mixture


3 - THE BEST - very much recommended Swedish recipe


FYI: I have eaten and loved Ethiopian food all over Europe and the US, but have never had any in Ethiopia. I would hardly call myself an expert, but I do love to eat it!

So for anyone thinking about making injera and want it to be good on the first try, here is what I learned:

1. This first recipe is just Teff and water, left to sit for a couple of days. It had some mixed reviews and I must agree with those who hated it - it is pretty bad. It doesn't look like any Injera I have had, in the US or Europe (can't speak for Ethiopia cause I have never been) and it fell apart when cooking. Would NOT recommend this one.

2. This recipe is a mixture of Teff and regular flour. The color was alright, but from day one it separated and even thought I tried to save it by putting in some yeast, it turned out bad. Would NOT recommend it.

3. THIS is the best one by far! It is from a Swedish cook book by Genet Awalom (you can buy the book here, if you speak Swedish) and it worked wonderfully. Here it is, translated into English:

20-22 pieces (6-7 servings)

Day 1:
25 g yeast
2,5 cups lukewarm water
4,2 cups flour
2 cups teff flour

Day 2-3:
2 cups cold water
1,5-2 cups hot water

Instructions:

Day 1:
1. Dissolve yeast in 1 cup of water. Add the remaining water and flour and knead
to a stiff dough, preferably with a household assistant.

2. Cover the dough well (preferably with plastic lid) and let it stand at room temperature for 24-72 hours depending on how sour you want it.

Day 2 or 3:
1. Add 4-5 cups cold water and mix well.
2. Then add 3-4 cups boiling water and mix to a loose batter.
3. Put the lid and let stand at least a couple of hours at room temperature.


Baking
In households where one often majes injera / Taita we usually have a non-stick pan that used only for this. For good results, the frying pan be scratch free and without grease.

1. Put a (preferably heavy-based) non-stick pan on the stove and heat it slowly until heat rises from the surface. It should be almost at the highest heat setting.

2. Stir the batter thoroughly. Thereafter, the mixture stirred as little as possible.

3. Lift the pan with one hand and allow the other to pour the batter on one side.
Tip the batter around until it covers the entire surface you a very thin, even layer.
Wipe the pan with paper towel occasionally.

4. 4Put the pan on the plate and wait until almost the entire surface is covered by small "eyes". It takes 30-35 sec. Put the lid on for 10 - 15 sec. Injera / Taita is baked without fat, and only one side - do not flip it! The bottom should be smooth.

5. Use a spatule to lift the injera / Tait.

6. Let injera / Taita cool on a towel before placing on each other.
Source: Ethiopian & Eritrean cuisine for Swedish cuisine, Gennet Awalom 2005

What do you think? Anyone else have any good injera recipes?

9 kommentarer:

  1. I would love to try the swedish recipe! Am I reading it correctly that it should be 4.2 cups of regular all purpose flour and 2 cups of teff flour? Just checking!

    SvaraRadera
  2. It is great! Yes, those are 4,2 cups of regular flour and 2 cups of teff. I have experimented with some different ratios as well, but this seems to work the best.

    SvaraRadera
  3. I have started to make the dough with the recipe you have provided, but I am confused about the day 2-3. At the top it says 2c. cold water and then 1.5-2c hot water. In the instructions for day 2-3 it says 4-5c. cold water and 3-4c boiling water. Is the water in the instructions in addition to what is written in the top portion or is it the total amount of water I should be using? Thanks!

    SvaraRadera
  4. Sarah- it is in addition to the other water! Let me know how it works out.

    SvaraRadera
  5. Unfortunately it did not work for me. It was too watery, I think. Maybe I just don't have the right conversions for the flour.

    SvaraRadera
  6. Aw, I am so sorry! Did you get the bubbles on the batter at all?

    SvaraRadera
  7. No, no bubbles at all. I will keep trying. :)

    SvaraRadera
  8. G'day and thank you for your post today as I had GREAT difficultly in making injera too! The first batch was running, the second not enough, TRUE!
    So decided to go with PLAN C and make them into small pancake dough type round breads too! The taste is great and worked out PERFECT for my Ethiopian Feast on my blog What's On The List http://www.whatsonthelist.net

    Here is a photo of what I ended up with should you like to view:

    http://whatsonthelist.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/photo.jpg?w=438&h=507

    SvaraRadera